Thursday, December 24, 2009

Cough. Cough. Hack. Cough. Groovy.

With some firm (forced) persuading I decided (given no choice) to finally go to the doctor's and see what the hell is going on with my persistent (and highly annoying) cough. My head seems to have cleared but the coughing refuses to go away and has been waking me (and everyone else within a three mile radius) up in the middle of the night.

So as it turns out it was pretty much a bad cold. He gave me a cough syrup with Codine. Nice. I should have gone sooner. Ah well. He said if the coughing persists for another week, to come back and see what the hell I've got. I didn't like the sound of that.

Since I was there so early I decided I'd finally let them draw blood. My doctor has been asking me to come in to get blood work done. It's been a while since he did a full checkup. I did the standard stuff a few weeks ago but he really wanted to do the rest. While I understand the importance of knowing what the hell is going on in your body and understand that he doesn't really want to cause me pain, my irrational fear of needles has pretty much been the inspiration for the litany of excuses I've come up with for not going.

I'm not the kind of person that passes out at the sight of needles or blood or anything like that. I actually give blood every year and have done so since I was 17. I just really despise the thought of needles going into my skin; hence, I have no tattoos. But yes, I did my little breathing exercise, even faster talking and even asked the nurse to give me a countdown. I warned her that I'm a big baby. She laughed. I couldn't blame her. I'm well aware that from the outside it's pretty funny. And I'll be the first to admit when it comes to getting shots, I'm not much braver than little kid. Hell, if it were socially acceptable, I'd demand a lollipop afterwards. I'm not kidding getting my regular allergy shot as well as flu shot (teeny as those needles are) still involves me squeezing my eyes shut and "eeeek-ing." Ah well, at least I'm good with knowing that my arm is not due to be impaled with anything until the spring.

The good thing is that the cough syrup seems to be working really nicely. I'm relaxed as can be, I haven't been coughing a whole lot and I'm getting kinda sleepy. This is great. Like I said, I should have gone sooner. I just hope this works. I have an interview on Monday afternoon. I'd hate to go in there trying to make a good impression and then start hacking away.

So sleepy... time for a nap.