Thursday, May 27, 2010

It All Started With the Peanuts

May 27, 2010

This post is obviously backdated. I have been keeping a running log of stuff but have resisted posting anything until I felt the time was right. If you haven’t guessed it and the picture hasn’t given it away, yep, Aaron and I are going to be parents!

Two days ago as I was leaving work, I noticed that my time of the month was feeling awfully late. I counted backwards and yep, I was, indeed late (I’m now 6 days late). I called ‘Chele to confer. I would have purchased tests then but I got sidetracked. Yesterday I picked up a pack of tests. Drank water. Waited. Ate some honey roasted peanuts, watched TV then peed.

As Aaron put it, the test (at the time), "appear inconclusive." I had a dark pink line and another line that was lighter. Now, the box says the second line may appear lighter in color but he wasn’t convinced. Mind you, the last time I took the test there wasn’t a single trace of that second line there. Still, I waited till the morning and redid the test. There it was again, another line. It wasn’t as dark as the first line, but very much there. I took it as a positive. I later found out the damn things are incredibly accurate after the missed period. Woohoo.

What’s funny is I should have known something was up. Last week while I was out food shopping, I got the craziest craving for honey roasted peanuts. It’s not like I don’t eat them, but it was almost like a cigarette craving when surrounded by chain smokers. I HAD to have them. I didn’t actually get on the road before I popped that bad boy open and polished the thing off. No I ‘m not that big a pig, it was the small, small container. I went back and got the glass jar of them to bring home. Aaron looked at me funny when I took them out. All I could say is, “I wanted them.”
So today, rather than do a good amount of work, I have been doing my homework, reading up on what to do, what not to do, etc and writing creating this post.
TheBump has been my go to site since we decided to try for kids and now I’m really happy I knew about it. Hell, I’ve only been a frequent visitor to its sister sites TheKnot, and TheNest since I used it to organize my wedding. Blech I wanna go home and read up on more baby stuff, but I don’t think I should just bolt. At least my boss is gone for the day and so is my supervisor. My ass is heading home at 4:00. I have been getting in the office at 8:00 am all week, damn it.

May 28, 2010

Holy crap. My tummy hurts and I have to pee like a racehorse. I actually feel like I’m having really bad cramps. Apparently the cramps I’m feeling are called round ligament pain. It’s basically caused by the ligaments that surround and support the uterus thickening and stretching. But wait, it gets better. Apparently this is supposed to hurt worse in the second trimester and usually worsens when you move quickly , laugh or cough. Woohoo!

Oh yeah. Aaron is finally convinced that the tests were accurate. All it took was for me to relay what the receptionist at my GYN said about the lighter pink lines and the timing. Yes, I told him the very same thing. Eh, wadda ya gonna do, right? But I digress… I called them yesterday to schedule an appointment. I’m going in on June 8th to have my first prenatal visit. Aaron’s going to be going with me in case they do a sonogram.

Last night we finally had some time to talk about the baby and when we’d like to tell people about it. I think we decided to tell the families during the July 4th Weekend. After that we’ll officially tell our friends. I know it’s a while but Aaron’s concerned about anything potentially going badly. I can’t really blame him. If anything bad happens it’s most likely to happen during the first few weeks. I just have to make sure I’m disciplined enough to keep my mouth shut till then. We shall see.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Let's Go Yankees!
Today I got to see, A-Rod hit a grand slam, a new angle of the stadium (I've sat in almost all of the different areas) and myself almost go cookoo for Cocopuffs over just about every food item I saw and/or smelled, except for one of the stands that was making something with curry. I normally love curry, but today, the smell was turning my tummy. THEN after Aaron who was wonderful enough to get me the biggest stadium steak sandwich I have ever seen, I turned into a friggin machine. I devoured that thing in no time, flat. Hell, I'm surprised I didnt eat the wrapping too.

Ah well, at least I'm still working out. I'm cutting back on the harder stuff or the stuff that can involve falling, like roller blading and perhaps biking, but I'm making it a point to continue walking, jogging and lifting light weights.

Ooh yeah, I've also noticed that my mood swings have been just charming over the last day or two. I learned that I can go from zero to psycho bitch on wheels and back again, in under three seconds! Woo! I can't help it or explain it. Like Dr. Banner, I try to keep it under control as best as I can, but when pushed too hard (or, not at all)... I have the strange feeling that you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Leaping lizards! I haven’t felt this sleepy in ages. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that my boss is out today or what, but all I want to do is put my head down on the comfy looking keyboard. The keys have some give to them. That should make it comfortable enough, shouldn’t it?

Ooh yeah, I’ve gotten a better idea of just how bloated I am. I tried on several different outfits that shouldn’t be fitting as snug as they were this morning. All I keep telling myself is that this is happy thing. It’s a good thing and that I’ll have a good reason to buy bigger comfier clothes. I did this of course as I tried not to burp my breakfast back up. I feel so lady-like.

I’ve also noticed the first signs of “morning sickness.” The symptoms aren’t bad. It’s mostly been heartburn and a touch of gas. I normally don’t get heartburn and/or burp like that after eating a bagel and fruit. Then again I also started feeling that after dinner the other day. All I had was rice, veggies and chicken. Go figure. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Sunday, June 6, 2010

What have I learned today? I learned that I can’t clean the way I used to. Today was a low activity day. I went to church and went food shopping. We’ll have to reexamine the logic behind sending the pregnant one to buy food at a later time. After I got back I took a nap, and then woke up feeling the need to clean. I get that way some times. I just can’t sit still until things are cleaned to my nutty (Marthaesque) standards. I cleaned the bathroom swiffered (dry and wet) the floors and vacuumed the two area rugs in the living room and entryway. By the end of that, I felt like I was going to pass the hell out. Mind you, normally this is what I do when I have to clean in a hurry, like when company is coming over, or when I’m just beginning my cleaning day.

I mean I was actually out of breath and dizzy. I got a huge glass of water and sat my ass down. Aaron got a bit concerned when I told him but I think he was okay as long as I didn’t actually pass out. I told him he’d have to finish the chores tomorrow. I didn’t touch the laundry, I still have to dust and wipe down all the common surfaces like counters, handles, door knobs, light switches, etc. He happily agreed.

Monday, June 7, 2010


So as far as “morning” sickness (or any time sickness, really) goes I’m getting lucky. All I’ve really been experiencing is heartburn, a bit of reflux and burping. No nausea, vomiting or anything like that. The problem with this is that there’s no rhyme or reason to what sets it off. It’s not like I can say, okay, I’ll avoid this kind of food or that kind of item. Nope. The other day, a simple smoothie set it off. What the frick?

Ah well, at least it’s not nearly as bad as the incessant need to pee. THAT has gotten old really fast; especially when it’s 2:00 and 3:00 A.M. and I have to make a mad dash for the bathroom. Coordination and I are not friends when I first wake up, particularly at that time of the morning. I’m just glad I’ve made it a point to keep the bathroom light on at night. Goodness knows there’s a good chance I’d end up peeing in the bedroom next to the bathroom is the light wasn’t there to guide my half comatose self. Imagine trying to explain that one in the morning.

Ooh, I have some other changes. Aaron decided to tell his sister, brother-in-law and his parents about our news. Once again, he’s the one who wanted to wait till July but he’s totally pinning it on me. His reasoning is that I’m the one who’s been dying to tell people. I’ve kept my mouth shut. The only people who know at work are my supervisor and the office assistant and I did this in case I have an emergency and have to take off early. He’s told his boss and just about all of his work buddies. But, you know, I’m the one who wants to tell everyone. Uh-huh… riiight.

His behavior is sweet though. Even though he insists he’s only 98 percent sure that we’re having a baby until we see the doctor (HA!), he’s sure acting like an excited man who’s trying to play it cool. But I think he’s slowly but surely getting used to the idea of being openly excited. He even rubbed my belly to say hello to the little one yesterday. Awwww…

Tuesday June 8, 2010
It’s Official We’re Having a Tadpole!

Yep we went to the doctor’s today. Poor Aaron hadn’t slept at all but was still pretty happy to see the little dot on the screen.

Aaron worked last night but rather than being able to get some sleep he had to take his brother to a doctor’s appointment in the morning and got home just in time to sit down for a bite to ear, before he had to get right back up and head out to my appointment. He was so tired he was actually shaking.

When we got there I actually thought we were going to go through the whole thing quickly. Well, the sonogram went quickly. I have no idea what the hell I was looking at, it was all kind of grey and then there was a black spot with a few white sections in it. It looked like an amorphous blob. Apparently that was the embryo. When she did a close-up, it looked like a tadpole. She then said, “Oooh look, you can see the heartbeat.” I stared and leaned in but really didn’t see a damn thing at first. Then she had to point it out. There was a wee little section in the tadpole that was blinking. Apparently that’s the forming heart. Cute! So yeah. The little guy is now the size of a pea or an M&M. HA!

After that whole thing, we then waited around some more and argued over how long I’ve been off the pill. Aaron seems to think it was one month. It was two. I know this because, well, I marked it down on my calendar. Duh! So yeah, then we got into the stuff about what I can, can’t, should and shouldn’t be doing. Basically it all comes down to, don’t be stupid and listen to your body. Sweet.

Now here’s the thing. This appointment just happened to coincide with my yearly exam. I’ve always been in that doctor’s office on my own. Having Aaron there, however, felt really odd. I mean, he has never gotten to see or have any inkling of what happens when I go to the GYN appointments. This time, however, he got to stay in the room for the whole thing. We didn’t really talk about it, but I’m just not sure who felt stranger about being in that room.

Friday, June 11, 2010
The Wee One Was Displeased

Yesterday was the first day I actually came close to booting. I called in sick yesterday because since finding out the big news, I haven’t used my prescription allergy medications. Then about an hour after eating breakfast, I experienced the first episode of “morning” sickness. I thought I was going to be safe with a bowl of cereal and a small bowl of fruit. Nope. The wee one was displeased.

What an unpleasant experience. I didn’t actually vomit, I just wish I had. Blech. For only God knows how long, I just sat on my bed waiting, still as a statue. I wasn’t sure whether I was waiting for it to go away or waiting for boot. All I knew is that if I moved I wouldn’t like it.

Since the day we found out the big news till yesterday, I’ve been pretty lucky. My cravings have been fairly mild. The biggest thing has been anything that has the salty/sweet combination, namely, honey roasted peanuts. The only other symptom I’ve noticed is an uptick in heartburn episodes (I hardly ever get heartburn). Ah well. I knew it would happen at some point or the other. Like I said, I’ve been pretty lucky so far. Here’s hoping the luck lasts.

Sunday, June 13, 2010
Got Plans? The Wee One Says 'No'

I don't mind being flexible, just be reasonable. I've already come to learn that when the wee one has plans of its own, he makes himself clear. By the way, I'm calling the wee one a him, but we still have no idea what the wee one is.

So yes, earlier this week I got to find out why the term "morning sickness" is laughable. This morning I got a repeat lesson. Blech. I once again didn't boot, I just had to stay still and wait. Blech.

But yeah, like I've said before, it's really not bad in general. But when the wee one acts up or wants me to pay attention, there's just no ignoring it.

Here's a funny story. This afternoon I got a smoothie thingy from starbucks. I told the dude at the counter to use no fat milk or soy. He said, "you got it." Needless to say, I think the bastard had no idea what I was talking about. So a little while ago, I began feeling terrible. I'll spare you the details but I came back into the livingroom rubbing my tummy, grumbling, "F***ing little bastard!" Aaron immediately responded with an offended, "HEY!" I then had to explain to him that I wasn't referring to the wee one but the idiot at Starbucks.

He laughed at the misunderstanding and said that he wasn't surprised that I wasn't feeling so great. Apparently dairy may not agree with my system at this stage. He started reading the book I got him! What a good soon=to-be daddy


Cathy said...

YAY It's official!!!! Congratulations Mamma B :)

I hope your "morning sickness" won't kick your butt too badly. I am so happy for you, Aaron & your Peanut

Dizzy Vizzy said...

"The fetus demands the following...." (ominous voice) is definitely the best way to describe things!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both of you!!!!
I had morning sickness for 4 months with my last one. Not fun at all. The heartburn sucks, too. You think you have to pee a lot now. Wait until it's bigger and pushes on your bladder. lol But those things will all be forgotten when the baby is born.

Omg my word verification is bongs. lol

BeeOhVee said...

:) I can't tell you how often the word verifications make me laugh.

Thank you so much for the good wishes and thank you for the head's up Mejis. :)