BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Review of "Drag Me To Hell"

Aaron, myself, my brother-in-law and a friend just caught this flick. Now, I am a huge fan of B-Horrors. I mean HUGE! In college I actually exchanged several e-mails with Bruce Campbell and Peter Jackson. So today, I wasn't very upset when "Up" was sold out and we had to catch "Drag Me To Hell," Sam Rami's new flick, instead. I have been a Rami fan since I first saw "Army of Darkness" during high school. Then my friend Becca reintroduced me to the series when she urged me to purchase Evil Dead II in college. So yes, I had some pretty high hopes.

As far as a horror goes, yes, I suppose it does do the job. However, if you're a fan of the genre and the director, you will immediately recognize tricks, filming style, gross-outs and some of the scenes in the movie will be familiar. Rami even threw in a few seconds of a laughing inanimate household object. SADLY there is not single sign or sighting of Bruce Campbell. Ah well.

So in general, if you don't mind seeing a few "classic" gimmicks and familiar movie tricks, the movie itself is pretty darn entertaining. It has a few good jumps and some parts will give you the heebee-geebee's but I thought it was a touch predictable. I'd say if you're up for a horror, go for it. But keep in mind, if I don't sound completely enthusiastic, it's because I have very high standards for horrors and it takes a lot to actually take me off guard, but overall, pretty decent.

2 comments:

Mich said...

im supposed to go see it tonight..... i get scared SUPER easily though.... im prepared for the nitemares that will be coming my way tonight. LOL

E. Van Lowe said...

I am a Sam Raimi--Evil Dead fan from way back. I would see it this weekend but I have to work. I will catchit as soon as I can. Thanks for the review.